Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Horror of installing XP on ASUS M3N78-EM

After trying to get comfortable with Vista x64 on my new machine (ASUS M3N78-EM, Phenom Triple Core, 4 GB RAM), I decided that it's just not gonna happen. I couldn't connect my Sony HandyCam as drivers were not present, my plain old HP Deskjet 64bit drivers weren't working..basically the whole experience was pretty miserable.

Anyway, decided that XP 32bit is still the way to go. Installed slipstreamed version of XP SP3. Everthing worked except ... THE SOUND! Searched google and found lots of forums where people had similar problems with the RealTek Hi definition audio drivers. I tried ALL solutions I came across including installing XP UAA drivers (available with HP), installing latest drivers from ASUS for my MOBO, drivers from RealTek, nothing worked. Finally there was a post which suggested installing only SP2 of XP and then installing the Realtek Drivers and guess what? THIS WORKED!

Hope this helps anyone else having similar problems.

No comments: